Lexercise professional development
Lexercise has an online, three-course sequence for professional development in structured literacy intervention that is aligned with the International Dyslexia Association (IDA) Knowledge & Practice Standards.*
- Course 1: The Structure of Written English (~ 30 hours, at your own pace, certificate can be requested upon completion)
- Course 2: Multisensory Structured Literacy Intervention (~ 30 hours, at your own pace, certificate can be requested upon completion)
- Course 3: Practicum in Structured Literacy Therapy (36 clock hours of practicum plus an additional 8 hours of supervision conferences using Lexercise's secure and private teletherapy platform, certificate can be requested upon completion) Contact Courses@Lexercise.com for more information.
These courses are a sequence: Course 1 is a pre-requisite for Course 2 and Course 2 is a pre-requisite for Course 3.
For professions who believe they have mastered the competencies covered in Course 1 and Course 2 there are competency-based (test-out) exams for both courses. (See below for more information on these test-out options and study guides.)
In most settings, a minimum of a bachelor's degree from an accredited university is required for providing professional services in structured literacy.
The Lexercise course sequence
The three Lexercise professional development courses are designed to address knowledge and skills as described by The International Center for Leadership in Education's Rigor-Relevance Framework:
Notice that at the "low end" (A & B) the focus is on acquiring and applying knowledge and being able to recall or locate that knowledge. At the "high end" (C & D) the focus is on using knowledge, assimilating it with other domains of knowledge and adapting it for specific circumstances.
Here is how the three Lexercise professional development courses relate to the Rigor-Relevance Framework:
- Level A - Lexercise Course 1 (Structure of Written English)
- Level B - Lexercise Course 2 (Multisensory, Structured Literacy Intervention)
- Levels C & D - Lexercise Course 3 (Practicum in Structured Literacy Therapy)
* This course sequence is under review for IDA accreditation.